Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Life and Language Arts

This week we are back to school after being off for the month of December.  Our holiday season was much more relaxed since we didn't have to worry about school in addition to everything else.  My house is a mess (as usual), and the Christmas decorations are still up ('til Saturday), but we are back on the ball with lessons, including a whole new plan for Language Arts for the rest of this school year.

We've used Sonlight for just about everything since the very beginning, but the last year or so, I haven't been happy with the Language Arts (LA) program.  It frustrates me for some reason, and the kids hate it.  I stuck to it this year because I really wanted to like it, but finally decided last week that we really must change.  I mean, why punish ourselves day after day?  So, for the rest of this year we are using grade-level LA workbooks that I bought at Barnes & Noble for just under $7 each... plus Explode the Code phonics and some of the creative writing prompts from Sonlight.  We'll use Sonlight's spelling, too, since that's what we have right now.  The current plan for next year is for Seth to use Switched-On Schoolhouse for LA3, and for Caleb to use Lifepac LA2.  I just really like a concrete, straightforward LA curriculum better than Sonlight's natural learning approach.  Of course, we're still using Sonlight for just about everything else, so I'm still a huge fan!

Have a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment