Saturday, September 22, 2012

Carpet Beetles & the Infiltration of Sin

One day several months ago, I saw a little black bug on the ceiling in my van.  I didn't know what it was, but it was tiny and motionless... and sort of cute, really.  Considering it harmless, I ignored it.  Over time, I began to see a few more.  Not really realizing what they were, I wondered about it, but again, decided to ignore them.  More time passed, and the kids would occasionally mention seeing a "tick" in the van, but when they described the bug, I knew it wasn't a tick, just some bug.  About the third time this happened, I looked at the bug they were talking about, and it was one of the same little black bugs.  At that time I noticed they were growing in numbers, but still there weren't that many.  I knew at that time that I needed to clean out the van, but being so busy, I put it off.  Again.

Finally, on the afternoon of Thursday, August 23, 2012, the day before I attended the Beautiful Awakening conference at Victory (Lisa Bevere - Lioness Arising), my mom came over to babysit while I went grocery shopping.  After filling a basket at Walmart, I went out to put the groceries in my van.  When I opened the back of the van, sunlight shone on the floor in that area, and it was covered with these tiny black bugs.  Covered.  I looked through the van with new eyes, and finally saw that these little bugs were taking over.  I was disgusted and completely creeped out.  Now instead of thinking of them as harmless, they were "demon bugs"!

I scoured the internet to find out what these pests were and found out they were carpet beetles.  I was alarmed to learn that they are really hard to kill... and almost impossible to get rid of completely.  I read that I could sprinkle borax on the carpet and seats to try to kill the bugs, then vacuum them up.  I got to work immediately!  Praying the whole time for every unseen beetle to die, I took everything out of the van, including the seats, covered everything in borax and let it sit for a little while, then vacuumed those little creeps up.

My biggest fear at that time was that one of those monsters... not so cute anymore... would get into my house.  I took the vacuum bag out while I was still in the garage and threw it away in the outside dumpster, then left the vacuum in the garage for over a week. Steve and I prayed over it before I brought it back in.

I read that a washing machine kills every life-stage of carpet beetle, so I took every blanket, carseat cover, hat, and piece of clothing out of the van and washed and dried it on hot.  I put pillows and anything else that couldn't be washed in the hot dryer and ran it twice in a row.  I was on a mission!

After getting all of that cleaned up and getting rid of every visible bug, I knew I had to watch out for and immediately kill any bug I saw after that.  Over the next two weeks, I carried my version of a carpet beetle haz-mat kit in my van... Kleenex and Ziploc bags. Every time I left the house, I checked the van first.  I would use a Kleenex to pick up the bugs and put them ever-so-carefully into a Ziploc, which I would immediately close tightly and toss in the trash.  I killed close to 100 bugs in that two weeks, but I was diligent and I finally stopped seeing them every day.  Occasionally, one or two pop up... thankfully, they usually fly to the ceiling of the van, so they are easy to spot.  Yesterday was Friday, September 21, 2012... almost one month later... and I spotted and killed another one.

It wasn't long before I realized that the bug infestation was symbolic of what was happening in my life at the time...  


The Lord has been speaking to me in several ways this year about seemingly "little" sins that turn into big problems.  If I had been on top of things, I would have killed the bugs before they infested my van.  If my eyes had been open and aware of my surroundings instead of constantly distracted, I would have noticed one bug turning into ten and taken care of it before they turned into a hundred or more.  They were a disease spreading right under my nose, but I was oblivious.


This very thing has been happening in my own life.  I often choose to be distracted from my life instead of engaged in it.  Because I'm feeling tired, lazy, or I don't want to face problems, I ignore and neglect the issues... and fall into sin.  If I don't act immediately, my life will eventually become infested with strongholds that will knock me off of God's path for my life.  Neglected, sin can turn into deep roots of bitterness that could take me out of the fight permanently.  At the very least, which really is the most important thing of all, this ongoing sin taints my intimacy with the Father.  He can't get His words into me or through me to others without bringing me to a place of repentance before Him.  And He is willing to do that as long as I am willing to submit.  And when I do submit to that process and let Him lead me into repentance, the outcome is sweeter than anything I've experienced with the Lord so far.  There's deeper intimacy, friendship, peace, and joy in those times... and it makes me hungry for more.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing something personal like that. It is amazing, isn't it, that God can use an annoying little bug to bring Him glory. Sometimes people just consider an incident like that either someon else's fault or just an annoying experience. Thank you for allowing Father to show you His heart.

    Love you-
    Cristie

    ReplyDelete